Summer Creative Writing Intensive for Teens who LOVE to write
WordSMASH! mini-camps for rising 3rd-7th graders
plus plenty of adult classes, too!
Summer Creative Writing Intensives
The 2023 Summer Creative Writing Intensives Were AMAZING!
Want a peek at the fun and creativity we shared this summer? Check out our 2023 Summer Intensive Photo Recap!
Our premiere program for teens who LOVE to write will be held at Drew University next summer. We had another fantastic season full of inspiring new workshops, returning favorites, and all the wild Wednesday Literary Adventures that make this program the highlight of The Writers Circle’s year.
The Summer 2024 schedule is still in the works. Here are the dates, with more details to come:
July 15-19 ~ July 22-26 ~ July 29-August 2
Writing Daily, 9:00 AM-3:30 PM
~ Join us for one, two or all three weeks ~
Join our contact list to be the first to hear when registration opens and to take advantage of Early Bird Pricing.
If your Teen loves to write, The Writers Circle is the perfect place to hone their craft
in a generous, creative environment.
We are thrilled to be back on campus at Drew University!
For teens who love to write, The Writers Circle’s Summer Creative Writing Intensive is the perfect place to hone their craft. Students will develop their voices and writing ideas in a generous, creative environment with professional authors as instructors. Each week they’ll choose from two different genres to study, always including Elements of Fiction and Poetry, among others. They’ll focus on their own writing projects as well as new work inspired by creative exercises and prompts. They’ll receive supportive, constructive feedback from instructors and peers. Literary inter-activities and adventures, and a reading on Friday will round out the week. They’ll also have the chance to submit their work for publication in The Writers Circle’s online journal.
See the fun and creativity of past summers in our Summer Intensive Photo Recaps:
Every summer, students:
- work with professional authors to develop their voices and writing ideas
- choose two different genres to focus on each week
- work on their own writing projects and get personal editorial feedback
- get supportive, constructive writing critique from instructors and peers
- submit and publish work in The Writers Circle’s online journal
- spend time examining the writing of peers and masters
Plus they meet and work with like-minded young writers who share their passion!
A writer’s day at TWC’s Summer Intensive:*
- 9:00-9:20 Writing Warm-ups (Physical, literary and creative)
- 9:20-11:00 – Genre #1 workshop with a published author
- 11:00-12:30 – Genre #2 workshop with a published author
- 12:30-1:30 – Brown bag lunch and time to move and socialize
- 1:30-2:30 – Free writing and editorial conferences with TWC Directors and Instructors
- 2:30-3:30 – Group critique and literary activities, plus a Friday Reading for family and friends
- 3:30 – Pack-up and Pick-up
The program is capped by a student reading each Friday afternoon.
*Schedule based on in-person attendance. Subject to change.
Creative Writing Mini-Camps for rising 3rd-7th graders
~ in-person in New Jersey and virtual options for kids farther away ~
Summer 2023 WordSMASH sessions are done.
Join our contact list to be the first to hear when registration opens for Summer 2024.
(All photos from our post-pandemic, in-person sessions. We hope for “Masks Off” next summer!)
Our two-hour per afternoon, week-long program is chock-full of writing games, wacky prompts, and time to sink into a favorite book just to read! Seasoned writers will be challenged by story starters unlike anything they’ve seen in school. Reluctant writers will find TWC’s interactive games and prompts an irresistible invitation to start creating. Our collaborative, energetic environment will lay the foundation for kids to let loose and let the words flow. Let WordSMASH! keep writing and reading alive for your kids this summer!
(Grouped for “rising” 3rd-5th graders and 6th-7th graders. Register for the group based on the grade your student will be in starting in September.)
PRAISE FOR OUR IN-PERSON and VIRTUAL SESSIONS:
- “WordSMASH and TWC are the best places for those who love writing! My boys had fun in class. They looked forward to going to classes every day.”
- “My first grader looked forward to the class everyday. Even after the session, he continues to write and asks us to give him writing prompts like his teacher did.“
- “Every day he was laughing and learning!“
- “My daughter smiled logging in and was excited to share what she did when logging out!”
- “Thank you for providing a nurturing and creative environment for my son to thrive in.”
- “My daughter was very excited about the writing she did in the class and has been motivated to continue working on it.“
- “The games and activities inspired our daughter to write, be creative and be proud of her work.”
- “She wasn’t very excited about the class in the beginning but things improved as she gained confidence by writing better.”
- “She was sad when the class ended. She wanted it to go on for the whole summer!”
- “She was excited each day over what she was working on, what was coming up next, etc. She also learned a lot!”
- “My children enjoyed all the classes and were asking for more sessions. My son is now motivated to write more.”
| TWC’s Freedom of Expression Policy |