We’re bidding farewell to another wonderful summer! Planning for 2020 starts soon!
Summer Creative Writing Intensives for Teens Who LOVE to Write – held at Drew University
WordSMASH for rising 1st-7th Graders – held in multiple TWC locations
If your Teen loves to write, The Writers Circle is the perfect place to hone their craft
in a generous, creative environment.
at Drew University, Madison, NJ
Three Week-long Intensives Writing Daily, 9:00 AM-3:30 PM
Join us for one, two, or all three weeks!
For teens who love to write, The Writers Circle’s Summer Creative Writing Intensives are the perfect place to hone their craft. Students will develop their voices and writing ideas in a generous, creative environment with professional authors as instructors. Each week they’ll choose from two different genres to focus on – fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, sci-fi/fantasy, and more. They’ll focus on their own writing projects as well as new work inspired by creative exercises and prompts. They’ll receive supportive, constructive feedback from instructors and peers. Special excursions, literary inter-activities, and a reading on Fridays for family and friends will round out the week. They’ll also have the chance to submit their work for publication in The Writers Circle’s online journal.
See the fun and creativity of past summers in our Photo Essays:
This coming summer, they’ll:
- work with professional authors to develop their voices and writing ideas
- choose two different genres to focus on each week
- work on their own writing projects and get personal editorial feedback
- get supportive, constructive writing critique from instructors and peers
- submit and publish work in The Writers Circle’s online journal
- spend time examining the writing of peers and masters
Plus they’ll meet like-minded young writers from the local area who share their passion!
- 9:00-9:30 Writing Warm-ups (Physical, literary and creative)
- 9:30-11:00 – Genre #1 workshop with a published author
- 11:00-12:30 – Genre #2 workshop with a published author
- 12:30-1:30 – Brown bag lunch and time to move and socialize
- 1:30-2:30 – Free writing and editorial conferences with TWC Directors and Instructors
- 2:30-3:30 – Group critique and literary activities, plus a Friday Reading for family and friends
- 3:30 – Pack-up and Pick-up
The program will be capped by a student reading for family and friends each Friday afternoon.
*All programs and instructors subject to change.
Our teen writers talk about the Summer Intensives:
We’ll be back in 2020!
Mark your calendars now for July 20-24, July 27-31, and August 3-7!
This two-hour per afternoon, week-long program is chock-full of writing games, wacky prompts, and time to sink into a favorite book just to read! Seasoned writers will be challenged by story starters unlike anything they’ve seen in school. Reluctant writers will find TWC’s interactive games and prompts an irresistible invitation to start creating. Our collaborative, energetic environment will lay the foundation for kids to let loose and let the words flow. Let WordSMASH! keep writing and reading alive for your kids this summer!
(Grouped for “rising” 1st-2nd graders, 3rd-5th graders and 6th-7th graders. Register for the group based on the grade your student will be in during the 2019-20 school year.)
WHAT PARENTS ARE SAYING:
“We loved the mini camp. Everyone was so nice and the activities were fun and very creative. Would definitely sign up again.”
“He liked the freedom to think and write creatively. He enjoyed the writing games and prompts.”
“[My child] came out happy every day! Loved the interaction with other writers!”
“He looked forward to going every day.”
“It made writing a more enjoyable experience than he has ever had with it.”
Check back this spring for our 2020 WordSMASH program!
| TWC’s Freedom of Expression Policy |